12/01/2009

Got so far

This post's going to be very long and personal. I got inspired to write it last night when I was lying in bed and remembered my first steps as LP fan. Perhaps this will change your mind about me, you'll think that I'm crazy and obsessed. The following will explain many things, hopefully; maybe it will clear up some things and justify some of my actions.
If not... hell, I don't care. Read it, ignore it, comment, call me names (that's not an invitation for you, Kathrin!).

Recently, a friend and I talked about a girl from twitter and my conversation with her. This girl agreed with me that fans who are only with the band for their looks, aren't real fans and aren't really a part of our community. Usually, when you have a conversation on this topic, you get curious about the fan being of the other. In this case, I asked her when she started calling herself a fan of LP. Her answer made me cry - for laughter. I think so did my friend when I told her about it. Actually, I expected that girl to say "for about one year" which would be okay. I know many fans who started listening to LP like a year ago. But this girl still has to reach that mark.
Our fan community is very friendly, actually. We're very supportive and we're pretty much like a very big family. I think many fellows agree with me on that ;). But when it comes to newbies, most of us (particularly the older fans, old as in being a fan) become a bit rude. Let's call it defensive. I think we're sometimes just too proud. We're very careful; like with new neighbors: you try to find out more about them, weight it out and maybe build a fence to protect your territory. We can be really mean to newbies. And that's why we laughed about her. She's a fan for about half a year now, and doesn't know anything. My friend's a fan for about 4 years now, I think, and I am for 6 and a half years. As I put it: "We're one with the band after such a long time."
I remember how it was with me, about 6 years ago. I was twelve and just joined a German message board. My first step into a fan community and I wasn't aware about its hierarchy. Back then, I was naive, to some grade I was like the cliché fangirlie; I had a big crush on Mike. The difference between my twelve-year-old ego and a normal teenie booper: When I became a fan, it really was because of their music. Shinoda was one of the last persons of the band who I really noticed. So, I was new, I was naive, I was unexperienced. The perfect victim. They played jokes on me, they laughed at me for my opinion. I still can remember someone's words (actually, one of the few people who were nice to me): "We can have the "die-hard fan" conversation again, when you're 4 years older." Right then, I felt rejected and I was disappointed. Sad and hurt because I thought that I'd finally found friends. Simultaneously, I couldn't believe in those words. I didn't get how they could reject me, when the guys themselves love all their fans - no matter how young they are.
After being a fan for one year, I decided to put all my energy, all my passion and love on this new family of mine. I wanted to become a member of it, one that people wouldn't reject, one they would accept and respect. LP was all I had back then, all my friends left me during that time, my mum wouldn't talk to me neither be supportive. And I wanted to become someone I could be proud of someday and back then, that was the only way to achieve this goal.
I had a plan; to become a Street Soldier someday, join LPU, meet the band and see them live in concert. I worked for it as hard as possible, there was nothing about the band I wouldn't know, I wouldn't see. At age 14, I think, I could've written a book about them with all details. The LP community (yup, LPC as we called it back then) was my home. It was where I was someone. Where people paid attention to me, loved me for just being me. And sharing something important with them.
In 2007, things changed. The goals on my list were not only simple goals; it was my way to force me to stay alive. It was like, "Don't leave before you visited your first LP concert". Maybe because I knew that it would change my mind and even give me new energy. So, two years ago, I achieved almost all goals on my list, one year later, the rest followed. Already after my first concert, things changed. It wasn't important anymore to be up-to-date. It wasn't important to know everything... I kinda let it float. And after my first M&G, I was close to quitting. There was nothing for me anymore to work for; I achieved everything I wanted.
About one year later, today, I'm proud of the kind of fan I've become. I'm exactly the fan I wanted to become and I'm really proud of it. I've experienced so much and I still love LP. They almost like friends but more important: they've become a part of me. A part that changes with me and that I'm proud of.

I'm pretty sure that it didn't make any sense. :[

Currently listening to Linkin Park - In the end

8 Kommentare:

  1. WORD to that. i could copy it and post it on my blog as somethng i've written, because it fits so much. but when i look back to when i was a "newbie" now i can see why the older LP fans were treating me the way they did... i love the band still, the same way as i did, but you have to GROW into a hardcore fan. i'm trying to treat the younger fans with respect, but also with distance... they will either become a real fan or they won't. :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. WORD.
    You put into a short text what I was trying to say in a whole blog post |D
    You're so right with it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Thank god I joined the LP world when LP was still making its way to the WORLD WIDE popularity, I still remember going to a recordshop asking for them and the guy would ask "Who?" hahaha. I've been a fan for almost 9 years it's crazy.... I never thought I'd like a band for so long without loosing interest in them.

    What I don't like about a Newbie it's when they want to correct me about something I've said about them, it's like "Hey kid, I was there, I lived it, shut up" I remember waiting the premiere of In The End, now when I look back it's like "WOW... is it really such an old video?" hahaha. When I look at old pictures and remember when I got them NEW it's a really funny feeling. And I don't know you, but even though I like new people liking the band and stuff, I feel this urge to slap a kid that says "I'M THEIR BIGGEST FANNNN!" and knew them because of New Divide or something, it's like I feel all my hard work on sites, waiting video premiers, albums releases, and stuff are underated because a kid that visited wikipedia and learned Chester Bennington's full name is already calling itself the biggest fan, like, then what am I? the almighty fan? they make us react that way no matter how nice we can be, they just get me on my neeervessss....

    And don't get me started when they call my Chester a 'hottie' hehehe seriously, yes, I'm not blind, the man is quite attractive, and yes I tend to drool over him more than I should hahaha BUT.... back in 2001, all I knew was their music, I was IN LOVE with their music, it was until mid 2001 that I finally saw Chester's face (and yes, fell in love with it hahaha) but I don't like when fans are in for their looks, if they want that they can go fangirl over the Jonas Brothers, there are lots and lots of boy bands to love for only the looks. LP is a talented band, each and every musician in it is a freaking brilliant, Mike is a multi-talented one is AMAZING, and when young girls likes them only for their looks the band looses each time a little bit of their credibility, and me no likes that, I want people to appreciate them for what they are...

    Anyway, now my comment is way longer than yours hahahaha

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I totally agree with you! Those fans literally force us to act like that. It's really like, "I've worked my fucking ass off to become a fan like I am today, I've done so much for the band and the community, and you little bitch think you're a better fan than me?" It makes you wanna kill them. -.-
    I think you know that I'm a Brad fan but I didn't become a fan for his looks; it took me one year to REALLY fall in love with his guitars. So, I think it's okay to like someone in the band in particular, I even think that's healthy. And it's okay to be a little fangirlie-ish at times. As long as you're a real fan deep down, it's okay to drool over them XD
    It's really just like you want to protect your family. Whenever a new fangirlie comes up and behaves like she's the biggest fan around, I feel like she's kidnapping my mother. They mean so much to me and I had to work for the respect from the other fans, I really worked my ass off for it and I think I have the right to call myself a "hardcore fan".
    And usually, I don't call these newbies a fan. Just because I don't want fans like that to be my brother/sister.

    Naaahh, 's okay. Thanks for the comment! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I'm just SO happy to know that I'm not alone. I don't lie when I say Chester is one of the most important men in my life, if not the most important (aside from my family men) I love him like a family member, I seriously admire him for many many reasons, he's an incredible musician. And I adore LP, they're all special to me, but I have to admit, that if the band gets to break up someday I'm still going to follow Chester's career hehehe it's like he gets an unconditional love from me that no one else has, probably not even The Beatles that are my second fave band. But I simply adore them ALL. They've been there for so long for me, that they actually feel like part of my life, like a part of me. It's amazing how artists can touch someone's life in this way, I wish I could someday touch someone's life like they did to mine.... they're amazing. Sometimes I wonder if they have a tiny idea of what they mean to us, the real fans.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. You're really not alone ;)
    If the band would break up someday, I would try to follow all of them; perhaps I'm too clingy :P It's just like you said, they've been there for so long. They maybe even taught us lessons about life, they gave us friends and the best times in our life.
    I do, too. I mean they're not only a normal band for us; they're saviors, they've been our only friends in the darkest times of our lives. We spend so much time and energy on them... Just to give back what they're giving us.
    Sometimes when I remember my first M&G, I get the feeling that they know it. When I remember Chester's honest smile when I thanked him... he must know how I'm feeling about the band.
    Maybe it's like with us; as a hardcore fan you FEEL if the other is one too or just a pretentious fan. You just look at them, listen to one word and KNOW that they're fake. Maybe the guys have that, too :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Awww what you just said made me smile, that they probably know... my biggest fear has always been to make the fool of myself in front of Chester in a M&G if I ever get to go to one, I'm scared as hell of him thinking I'm an idiot hehehe when he got a Twitter account I was afraid of commenting his tweets 'cause I didn't want him to think I was a stupid/stalkerish fan hehehe. But I hope, like you said... that if I ever meet him, he knows what he means to us :D

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. I'm sure you won't ;) He's gifted XD I was so nervous at my first M&G that my friends feared I would faint but when it was his turn (he was last in line), I suddenly was all calm.
    And I think that you don't have the "special feature" that those fangirlie-ish fans have, you're way better and I think you wouldn't scare him away ;)
    I made the fool of myself in front of Phi, THAT was fucking embarrassing...

    AntwortenLöschen